Tuesday, May 5, 2020

Reading Books (part 4)

Not that I wanna do a running commentary on books I'm reading but's like Mel Brooks' History of the World, part 2. Ten year 'go was writing a review* of Steve Ely's "Ratmen" whilst reading it - cuz was so good, why wait til y'gits to the end, huh? And now...I'se doin' the same damn thang all o'er agin (Oregon fer Nort by Nort Westers). 

And or slacked by anudder slog. So, Marc Grossberg's "The Best People" reads so very well, just that I don't like any of the characters, so's hard to relate. Like, remember that tv show JAG? Man, I hated them scummy righteous-ass shitheads so bad. Make y'wanna read Henry Baum's book "Golden Calf" 'bout gettin' rid a Tom Cruise as a public service.

So...TC Williams' "Unlearning Race" seems t'be mostly about how "whitey" done ruint everthin and everbuddy 'cept fer those who benefit which is like - all of us? Well, maybe not the continent of Africa which isn't suffering from "whitey" intervention. Am I being snarky here?

And Darran Anderson's "Inventory" is so beautifully written and so tragically told - kinda like Erie itself, no?

Flash forward (or backward)(or both at same time) re-reading Ely's "Ratmen" is like finding there's great stuff even after you's read Tony O'Neill and worried that nothing would ever compare. Damn that young rat killer can tell a tale. And shout out to Geraint Hughes who done sent me the book with the eloquent inscription "Christ-Jayzuz, shipping costs to US are outrageous!" And I eloquently replied "I 'preciate it."

*(figured I could post my reviews in the comments section of The Guardian books, and New York Times book reviews. But they got wise t'my scam and quit giving out the links to my cleverly insinuated craftsmanship.)

PS - did I mention I recently reviewed Ben Myers' "The Offing"

No comments:

Post a Comment