Thursday, January 30, 2020

Write Your Own Bible


In a binary sense we have two choices - read the Bible, or write your own. Either follow the teachings, or chart your own course. Though practically speaking, we're all influenced by what has come before us. So even the most ardent path blazer is following in the footsteps of others; many others, perhaps all others (I think that's maybe a Hegel idea, I dunno). But much or most of what we think, do, or say; has been done before (just not as well). That was joke by the way, nobody gets my jokes.

Anyway, everything we do has some large or small influence on everyone else. I think Jesus called it the pebble tossed into the water effect. Per Sartre - all our actions exemplify how we think everybody else oughtta act. I think everybody oughtta be nice, but most everyone thinks that, so aint original with me. Just sayin'. But there's a catch. 

The Bible is old testament and new. The old is largely discarded by Christians. And generally speaking it's not very well known - other than a few words about creation, the Adam & Eve story, and the Noah story. Which are often regarded as myths similar to other cultures' creation, flood and redemption tales. 

But the key for Christians is the New Testament where this guy goes around telling stories about how to be righteous and good - what some would call ethics and morality. But there's a kicker. While these stories are nice, maybe even profound, there's always room for doubt, or for going your own way. So (aping the old testament) re-tellers of Jesus added this: "uh...did I mention he's the son of God." What we'd call "argument ab auctoritate" to the ferkin' nth degree.

So yeah "y'aint disagreein' with God there, are ya bud" can be a compelling reason to read and heed. On the one hand, it falls down rather quickly in the face of reason. On the other, it's held up for two thousand years, so top that. Well, as the bug alien says in Men in Black, your proposal is acceptable.

I've my own ideas - as distilled from twenty-five thousand years of subtle influence by others. So nothing new to see. Just some thoughts you can maybe use or not. And a couple of things on that. I've no reason to con anyone. Lying and deceiving people gains me nothing. I've nothing much to sell, and nothing much to buy. 

A story 'bout my Uncle Doc. We called him that cuz he was doctor and we were real clever with nicknames. So my dad is talking to Doc about ways to increase his practice. And Doc says "why...I can't eat more...can't sleep more." So, what would be in it for him. He did his best to help heal people, and they paid him as best they could; a fair trade all 'round.

The other thing I wanted to mention - my dad was an artist and a writer, and the finest person I ever met. He'd grown up in the Depression when food and housing were not always certain for the family. His father responded with all-pervading angst. My dad responded with humor, cuz at least you could laugh at your troubles and thus diminish them. So, when it comes to dads, J-boy gots nuthin on me.


No comments:

Post a Comment